Line Change! (Macaca)
We were going to change the line just following "macaca" but instead decided to give it a few days and see how it played in the national media. It turns out that it couldn't have played any worse for George Allen. EVERYBODY covered macaca, and it's effecting people's opinions across the country.
- Charlie Cook said Allen's "not a real contender" any longer.;
- The margin in his Senate race tightened to 3;
- The Washington Post is in Day 10 of their macaca coverage;
- Don't forget that before this even started, George Allen had a "race problem"
- Mitt Romney is looking more and more like the "McCain alternative" people wanted Allen to be.
- He's got a 10 week bloodbath in front of him while Romney, McCain, Pataki, Huckabee and gang pick up chits and supporters.
Allen has left this incident battered, bloodied, bruised, and his crisis management abilities are being seriously questioned.
With that in mind George Allen has officially plummetted down the Cooler Line. 1 day after the macaca quote, or 3 days after, he would have just taken a little hit in our mind; but this thing is playing out worse and worse every day. He's in serious trouble. And now he's 18-1. Huckabee and "Field" are the beneficiaries.
Are we overreacting (underreacting?)... What do the Cooler minions think?